Fuquay-Varina was initially known as “Piney Woods.” The name Fuquay-Varina comes from two small neighboring towns
that eventually combined in 1963. Fuquay comes from a French veteran of the Revolutionary War named William Fuquay.
Due to a local mineral spring Fuquay quickly became known as Fuquay Springs and was incorporated in 1909.
The name Varina comes from a Fayetteville resident who wrote to inspire a young soldier during the Civil War under the pen name Varina. The soldier later married the woman and they settled in the south of Fuquay. He named the post office and local store after her and when the railroad station came in it was named Varina Station.
In 1963 the two areas combined to become Fuquay-Varina. Today, the town has two historic districts and has seen tremendous growth in amenities, business and residential homes.